Building Strengthening, Strengthening with FRP materials
Radyab Company was established on 13 December 1983 as a private joint stock company. After several years of experience in the construction field, in 2001 Radyab Company has started its pioneering activities in the use of Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) composite material (particularly in the reinforced concrete structures). Due to the lack of indigenous technical knowledge in the field of FRP composite material at that time, the company started a collaboration with EMPA research institute in Switzerland for transfer of knowledge and experience in the design and implementation of FRP in structural retrofitting.
EMPA institute with more than 800 experts and equipped science and technology laboratories is one of the largest research institutions in Europe. The Structural Engineering division of the institute was headed for several years by Prof. Urs Meier who is a well known pioneer in the use of FRP in Construction Industry. This division is now headed by Professor Masoud Motavalli who is also a Lecturer at ETH Zürich University and cooperates with the University of Tehran as Assistant Professor.
To train engineers of the other Iranian companies with the latest developments in application of FRP composites, practical training courses are held in Radyab Company. Also in order to train others interested in the features and benefits of FRP system, the company has held several seminars in cooperation with Tehran Municipality, Tehran University, Department of Housing and Urban Development, architects association, etc…. in Tehran and other cities. Prominent scholars such as Prof. Meier and Dr. Motavalli have been among the lecturers in these seminars.
Radyab Company has obtained qualifications by the Management and Planning Organization of Iran to conduct retrofitting projects as an Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) company. Also the Iranian guideline for the Use of FRP for retrofitting of concrete structures (Manual No.345 of Management and Planning Organization), was prepared and published in collaboration with Radyab Company and Professor Motavalli (EMPA).
Missing puzzle piece of the FRP retrofitting projects in Iran is the lack of advance facilities required for the testing of materials (Fibers, resins and composites). Considering the great need for material testing in every major project regarding documentation and acquiring quality control and implementation approvals, Radyab Company has signed several contracts with the EMPA institute, and thus all the tests required for projects are conducted in the well equipped laboratories of the institute. For this purpose, samples of materials for each project are selected randomly under the supervision of a team of representatives of the Employer and the Project Consultant and are sent to Switzerland where all of the necessary tests are performed in the presence and under the supervision of these representatives. Also for the In-situ tests the EMPA institute’s experts are deployed in the project site in Iran.
Retrofitting projects are not limited to the use of FRP composites. Due to different needs of structures for retrofitting, there are different solutions for retrofitting any particular structure. Usually one or a combination of several methods is selected as the optimal solution. You can see a summary of why various structures needed retrofitting, conventional methods of retrofitting as well as examples of retrofitted projects executed by Radyab Company in the past in Radyab Company’s Resume.
ENGINEERED SOLUTIONS RADYAB
What we do in Radyab?
In the Engineering Department, our engineers carefully examine the structural problems and suggests the best solutions for retrofitting the building. Some of these solutions are:
- Providing strengthening design using FRP Laminates
- Providing strengthening design using FRP Sheets/ FRP Fabrics (Carbon/ Glass fibers)
- Strengthening of beams, shear walls, slabs, and foundations
- Upgrading bearing capacity of structural members against dead, live, and seismic loads
- Executive plots for strengthening the building
- Quality assessment of the straightening systems, in situ tests of FRP
- Concrete building reinforced with FRP bars
One of the most prominent capabilities of our company is its specialized executive members. In addition to our high-level experience, our executive members are all involved in training and are updated every year by learning new techniques. Our executive members will be ready to carry out your project, no matter where your project is placed.
- Strengthening of masonry, concrete and steel building using FRP materials
- Anchor Bolts and re-bar embedment
- steel and concrete jacketing
- Building concrete structures reinforced with FRP bars
- Column strengthening using CFRP wraps
- Shear and flexural strengthening of beam using FRP sheet /laminate
- Shear and flexural strengthening of shear walls using FRP sheet /laminate
The sales department has been selling strengthening materials for many years with the help of reputable global companies. To view the site of the sales associate, please refer to Quantum website.
- FRP sheets and fabrics: uni/bidirectional fiber sheets made of Carbon, Glass, Aramid, and Basalt fibers and in various areal density
- FRP fibers: Carbon fibers or known as CFRP, Glass fiber or GFRP, Basalt fiber or BFRP, and Aramid or Kevlar known as AFRP (chopped or roving)
- Matrix: Epoxy resins, Anchoring glues, epoxy based repairing mortars and cement based repairing mortars
- Composite bars: Glass (GFRP) bars with spirals and sandblast coating, CFRP bars, fixers, clips and …
- FRP Laminates